Pursuit of Happiness

Monday, February 7, 2011

One Nation Under God...And Ronald Reagan.

                                                                    
Ronald Reagan.

This name speaks power within itself to nearly every conservative in the glorious United States of America.  Every member of the GOP has praised his name.  Every conservative idolizes him.  Every Southern Frat Gentleman drinks to him on a daily basis.   So here's a toast to his grand 100th Birthday yesterday. 

I must admit even though I am a staunch conservative, I may idolize him more than most...If you look over my bed, you will see centered neatly on the wall Ronald Reagan's campaign poster.  So why glorify him the way I do?  It may come to surprise you, but it is less about his policies or politics and more about the man he was inside.

The belief that the individual is capable of anything and everything has been drilled into my head since I was in the womb, unfortunately not by Ronald Reagan, but by my mother.  However, not everyone has a mother as nurturing in individual goals as mine, so the rest of the country should look to Ronald Reagan for aspiration. 

“There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.”--R.R.  

Though people may think the American dream is no more, I am a firm believer that is still thriving inside people who want it the most.  Unlike most of my generation, I understand that the American Dream isn't something that is just handed to you.  It was grounded on the hard working individuals who made our country great and had the ambition and drive to attain their goals.  Ambition and drive is something that is few and far between these days. However, it is possible within every individual.  As Ronald Reagan so rightfully said, we, ourselves, are our only barrier.

Now, I am not saying that every individual in America should be forced to believe in God, but why can't we Unite as One beneath Him?  God is after all freedom.  This doesn't mean you have to go to chruch every Sunday (though, I am not saying you shouldn't!).  I am saying that our nation as a whole needs to unite once more.  Let freedom drive us into a prosperous future!  Forget the petty arguments that America is a melting pot.  They are completely wrong.  We are all Americans.  I'm not saying forget your culture and heritage.  But be proud to live here.  Be proud to be One Nation Under God.

“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.”--R.R.

What wiser words could be spoken?  Our nation is at its weakest when we are separated.  The "fasces" are present throughout the entirety of the United States Governement and history.  For those of you who do not know, a "fasces" are individual wooden sticks bound together to symbolize "strength through Unity"  This is what Reagan was talking about.  If we forget our Nation is One, we untie that bundle and stand alone as weak twigs, easily broken. 


So whether you are conservative, liberal, Christian, or Agnostic, take politics aside to glorify this President as he should be.  And take some time to think about yourself, your goals, and your country.  You never know who will be the next Ronald Reagan.--Though I'm seriously hoping it's me :)

1 comment: