Pursuit of Happiness

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Every Day's A Bonus

This post is dedicated to one of the most lively people I have ever known, Jeffrey Lynn Rochester.

It was two years ago yesterday that he left this world.  Jeffy was one of my dearest friends and classmates in high school.  He unfortunately was diagnosed with brain cancer our Senior year.  He was one of the brightest students in our class and the best baseball pitcher our school had seen in years.  

Jeffy touched so many people in our small little town and made a huge difference in everyone's lives even after he passed away.  Even after he was diagnosed and went through extremely tough treatments, he still kept up with his school work and was determined to get himself well enough to play the Spring's baseball season.  He knew then that "Every Day's A Bonus."

Though he may have been sarcastic and one of the most Realist people I know, he had an energy in him that most people do not see.  He wasn't afraid to tell someone exactly what he thought when he thought it.  Our senior year was filled with many exciting moments that he did not intend on missing.  Even after extensive surgeries, he was at football games, senior activities, playing in baseball games, traveling with his teams, and made it and participated in graduation without even the slightest idea that it was amazing he was capable of doing these things.  He knew "Every Day's A Bonus."

When the time came and he passed away the Spring after we graduated high school, I have never seen a town as a whole so emotional and taken aback.  When his dad, Jeff Sr., spoke at his funeral, there was not a single dry eye in the church.  He expressed Jeffy perfectly.  We all knew that "Every Day's A Bonus."

Jeff's family had bracelets made engraved with "Every Day's A Bonus" on them. There is not a time that I go into town and do not see at least one of these bracelets.  They remind us of Jeffy's amazing legacy.  There has not been a single day when someone has not stopped and asked me what these bracelets mean.  I sit there and tell them Jeffy's story with a smile on my face.  Each person that asks always apologizes for bringing it up; but I just say that it doesn't make me sad anymore.  I know that he is here in my heart and served and is still serving a purpose.  To this day, Jeffy is teaching people, "Every Day's A Bonus."


1 comment:

  1. :) you make me proud to call you a friend, Colettey.

    ReplyDelete